- Depression and Anxiety - One study found a decrease in symptoms of depression for people with cancer after mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. And unlike some alternative treatments that only have short-term benefits for cancer patients, these effects were still present three months later.
- Stress - Several studies have found meditation to significantly improve the perception of stress in people coping with cancer. This benefit may go beyond the subjective feeling of well-being when stress is reduced, and contribute to a healthier immune system as well. Stress hormones -- chemicals that are released in our bodies when we experience stress -- may play a role in how well someone responds to cancer treatment, and even affect survival. One study found that meditation decreased the levels of stress hormones in people with breast and prostate cancer, and that the effects were still present a year later. Meditation may also lower the levels of Th1 cytokines, which are inflammatory factors produced by the body that may affect how we respond to cancer and our healing from cancer.
- Chronic Pain - Chronic pain is a common symptom among people with cancer. The cause may be due to the cancer itself, due to treatments for cancer, or secondary to other causes. Whatever the cause, it’s estimated that roughly 90% of people with lung cancer experience some degree of pain. Meditation appears to help with this pain and may lessen the amount of pain medications needed to control pain.
- Sleep Problems - Difficulty with sleep is a common problem for people living with cancer. In studies, meditation is associated with less insomnia and an improved quality of sleep.
- Cognitive Functioning - Difficulty with cognitive functioning is common, and may be due to the cancer itself or treatments for cancer, such as chemotherapy (chemobrain.) At least one study has found meditation to improve cognitive functioning with cancer.
- Fatigue - Cancer fatigue is one of the most annoying symptoms of cancer and cancer treatment. Studies suggest that meditation may improve energy levels and lessen fatigue for people living with cancer.
Apart from the adults ,making kids meditate can also help them greatly to improve their concentration and to have a better clarity of mind.